Vegan Staple Food Items I would suggest having on hand/trying out:
- Mushrooms – They are great for the meaty texture they give! Also the taste of course!
- Nutritional Yeast – Vegan gold lol! You find this at superstore (in the health food section), bulk barn (cheapest here), amazon, community foods. It is used as a cheeze flavour replacement. It also thickens sauces up, has a nutty & cheesey flavor. It can be sprinkled on just about anything.
- Variety of rice
- Almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk
- Variety of beans (canned for simplicity, raw/uncooked if you want to make them from scratch but does require extra cooking time)
- Tofu – can be used for so many different types of recipes! Savory, cheese sauces, desserts.
When it comes to tofu, my favorite is the Costco extra firm tofu, or superstore has an organic tofu that is my next go to. Tofu is so versatile; it can really take on the flavor of whatever you like!
It is best, once you have opened the tofu, rinse it, drain the water it’s kept in and place in-between a kitchen towel with something heavy on top/or squish it with your hands to get out any extra moisture. (I’m usually in too much of a rush to worry about this step – it’s really not necessary, but it helps!) You can marinate your tofu for 20 minutes or overnight if you want it to really soak up the flavour of your sauce (you can use old favourite sauce like teriyaki, or a maple/soy sauce type sauce, which ever you like)! For any extra uncooked tofu, store in a sealed container with water covering it, this will help keep it fresh! ALSO!! Don’t give up on tofu, it may take 1 or 2 tries to get used to cooking it, give it a few tries and feel free to ask me for any tips or help if you need!
Eggless Egg Recipes:
- Chickpea flour vegan sausage & cheese egg cups/quiches https://wordpress.com/post/whynotlightenup.wordpress.com/738
- Vegan Egg Yolk *This is SO good*- https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-toast-dipping-sauce/
- Tofu/Egg Spice Mix **has black salt – I ordered mine from amazon https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/tofu-scramble-spice-mix-tastes-like-eggs/
- Eggless Egg Salad Sandwiches: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-egg-salad-sandwich/
- Over Easy “egg” version 1 –https://www.theedgyveg.com/2020/03/03/vegan-fried-egg-with-vegan-egg-yolk/
- Over Easy “egg” version 2 – https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-fried-egg/
- Want to try out making Egg’s benedict yourself? Here are a few recipes! I haven’t tried yet, but these look pretty good! https://www.theedgyveg.com/2015/08/17/vegan-eggs-benedict/ OR https://www.mydarlingvegan.com/tofu-avocado-benedict/
- Tofu Scramble (mock scramble eggs)– so easy, so quick, SO cheap and SO good! **If you REALLY want that eggy sulfur taste/smell add some Black Salt to this!! I have a bunch msg me if you want me to drop off a little bit to try** https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/tofu-scramble-breakfast-vegan-champions/
Dairy Alternative Recipes:
- Cheese sauce – I’m serious, you have to try this recipe, It’s SO good – http://www.veggieonapenny.com/vegan-cheese/
- DIY Oatmilk (EASY) – https://detoxinista.com/oat-milk/
- DIY Vegan Butter (EASY) – https://whynotlightenup.wordpress.com/2020/05/22/diy-easy-vegan-butter/
Chickenless Chicken Recipes:
- White bean & thyme “chicken” pot pies – SO unbelievably delicious and I definitely suggest trying it! To save time and make this a bit easier you could always use phyllo dough that can be bought at any grocery store –. https://minimalistbaker.com/thyme-white-bean-pot-pies/
- Here is another recipe from the same blogger, I haven’t tried it but I would expect it to be delicious. I would even try to top it with mashed potatos too instead of puff pastry. https://minimalistbaker.com/1-hour-vegan-pot-pies/
- “Chicken” tofu Skeweres – https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/grilled-tofu-skewers-with-spicy-peanut-sauce/
- Tofu Nuggets- I use poultry seasoning in the dry mixture; it gives it that chicken flavour! https://www.thespruce.com/vegan-breaded-tofu-nuggets-recipe-3377030
- I haven’t tried this yet, but looks great! https://www.pickuplimes.com/single-post/2017/06/05/Mushroom- Lentil-Tacos-with-Creamy-Garlic-Avocado-Sauce
- This looks like another great recipe from an awesome food blogger, I’ll definitely be trying this: https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2015/4/23/easy-vegan-tacos/
- This one is a video, but has a great clip on how to prepare tofu and cook it! I use maple syrup instead of honey!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Yf9ZIt4Wo
- This is a great recipe as well: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-pepper-black-bean-stir-fry-vegan-pepper-steak/
If you are looking for store bought I would suggest trying LightLife or Beyond Meat burgers – though they are a bit pricy (2 for$9). I believe you can get beyond meat burgers at Costco now! IF you would like some more affordable burgers, we often buy the Meatless burgers from Walmart! They are walmart brand, and costs about $7 for 8 patties. They’re really tasty!
As for recipes to make your own this is one I usually work with: https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-grillable-veggie-burgers/
**Use whatever sugar you have on hand it doesn’t really matter! ALSO, I have never actually tried these on the bbq, I just bake mine or cook on the stove. Only because when I have made them that was just what was easiest! **
Here are a few of my absolute favourite recipes!!
- Fluffy pancakes: Seriously, these are a weekly household tradition now! SO good! https://www.google.com/search?q=post+punk+fluffy+pancake&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA737CA737&oq=post+punk+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j35i39j46j0l5.3209j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
- Chana Masala: If you like indian food, this one’s super tasty & easy. https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/chana-masala/
- TASTIEST LASAGNA EVER!!: Seriously, the best lasagna ever! I HIGHLY recommend you try this! https://www.theglowingfridge.com/vegan-tofu-ricotta-lasagna/
- Meatless Chilli – I will often throw in whatever veggies/beans I have on hand. Black beans, Red Kidney beans are my favourite. And I always add corn! https://frommybowl.com/easy-vegan-chili/ OR This recipe was suggested to me, I just haven’t gotten around to trying it yet:
- Banana Blender Muffins – These are soo good. I add chocolate chips and walnuts! They freeze really well too, so they’re great to keep on hand for last minute snacks or to take on the road! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2016/04/04/flourless-blender-muffins-banana-vegan/
- The Best Granola EVER – I make this almost 2 to 3 times a month. It is DELICIOUS! https://minimalistbaker.com/super-chunky-coconut-granola/
- Crowd Pleasing Ceaser Salad: SOO GOOD! https://ohsheglows.com/2014/11/24/crowd-pleasing-vegan-caesar-salad/
- Mushroom Stew: This is so delicious! Mouth-watering delicious! It does not last in our house either! https://delightfuladventures.com/mushroom-stew/
- Lasagna Soup: This is SO GOOD!! https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/the-best-vegan-lasagna-soup/
- Cauiliflower wings: These definitely take a bit of work, but they’re WORTH every minute! Tasty the next day too (I think so anyways haha!) You don’t have to use hot sauce, you can skip that step if you don’t want it spicy! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2019/06/27/buffalo-cauliflower-wings-recipe/
- BEST VEGAN GRAVY EVER!: https://www.noracooks.com/easy-vegan-gravy/
- Baked Crispy Tofu: **This is my GO-TO way of making tofu
- Chickpea “tuna” Salad: I make these all the time. I usually simplify it, you don’t have to add all the ingredients listed. I most of the time just to Chickpeas, vegan mayo (or avocado), salt, pepper, and dill! I think it tastes even better than tuna salads. http://ohsheglows.com/2015/07/21/chickpea-salad/
- Mushroom Stroganoff: This one is one of our absolute FAVORITES! (if you like mushrooms..)It’s so easy and super delicious! Never lasts long in our house.
- Sweet Potato Nachos w/ Lentil Chili: I usually only make the Lentil Chili portion and serve it over baked or boiled potatos (This would be great as taco meat as well I think)! https://wordpress.com/post/whynotlightenup.wordpress.com/735
Resturants/Stores in Calgary to try!
** There’s a few others, but I have only tried these **
- Vegan Street – Little bit pricey but SOO worth it. Unreal food! The calamari & carrot cake is my FAV!
- Charcuterie YYC – You gotta check this place out for vegan cheese and meats!! https://www.instagram.com/charcuterieyyc/?hl=en
- Hearts Choices (They have a few locations in Farmers Markets, but the BEST one is the café market location in the NE) I believe they have kids menu as well! You can also buy a lot of vegan mock meat/food items
- Leopolds Pub – Has awesome poutine, and other vegan options!
- The Raw Eatery – Super delicious, healthier vegan options!
- Baked 314 – has great vegan pizza options!
- Panago also has some pretty decent vegan pizza
- Baked From the Heart – If you need cakes or cupcakes or cookies these are your go to, they are SO good. You can order from them online, or find them at the Cat Cafe in Kensington
- Saveg – café/breakfast items
- Namo Café & Bistro – They have such good Egg’s Benedict!!!
- Copperbranch – Try the wings!!
- Street Eatery has great meatless options
- A & W – Try out the beyond meat burger there!
- Earl’s has great vegan options too
- IF YOU GO TO EDMONTON – go to Buckingham’s Pub (all vegan Pub), and Cinnaholic!!
Websites/Youtube/Bloggers that have great recipes and information:
- Oh She Glows – http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/
- Rainbow Plantlife https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDbZvuDA_tZ6XP5wKKFuemQ
- Minimalistic Baker – https://minimalistbaker.com/
- From My Bowl – https://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-cheese/
- High Carb Hannah – https://www.rawtillwhenever.com/recipes/ & https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs1uwp7bB1J_3r5xN2ioL_w
- Detoxinista – https://detoxinista.com/
- Hot For Food – https://www.youtube.com/user/hotforfoodblog & https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/cookbook
- The Edgy Veg – https://www.youtube.com/user/stillcurrentstudios
- Cheap Lazy Vegan – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEjkioV3LO_OIUaSWRxFZ3A
- Pick up Limes – https://www.pickuplimes.com/ AND https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2E1mIwUKMWzCA4liA_XGQ
- It doesn’t taste like chicken – https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/